Thursday, November 17, 2011

Saying it out loud doesn't make it so...

Life moves fast... intent to do something--or not do something--doesn't mean it that's how it will work out. Sometimes that intent gets trumped... often by a screaming baby.

I said, "I'll keep up with my blog. I won't get behind."
I mean, come on, I'm a stay at home mom. I'll have time. HA. We all see how that turned out. (It's LITERALLY been 1/2 a year since I last posted.)
What I've learned: Babies One baby can take up more time than you will ever have. 

I said, "Gross. Who does that?! He's a kid, not a baby bird!" I had just watched a lady at the park bite a little piece of food off and then give that little piece from her mouth to her little kid to eat.
Fast forward approximately two years to me, in the parking lot at HEB, trying to ensure that my kid will be agreeable during our sprint race for groceries, biting grapes into three pieces and feeding them to G.
What I've learned: Teeth are readily available tools that are probably cleaner than the random leftover fast food plastic knife in the floor of the backseat. They are perfect for cutting up food to stuff into your kid.

I said, "Nah, we don't need an extra outfit."
What I've learned: It's a phenomenon. Leave home with an extra outfit for you and baby and you won't need it. Leave home with only what you have on, and something that came from a baby oraface WILL end up ALL. OVER. IT. And it will likely smell awful. Trust me future moms. Keep a clean(ish) t-shirt in the car.

I said, "I'll just carry him."
What I've learned: Using a public restroom while holding a baby, and ensuring that no part of said baby comes into contact with any part of said public restroom, AND getting your pants back on straight and buttoned/zipped is a tricky task. Then there's the hand washing. Never go shopping alone (or with people you don't trust to hold your baby while you go pee).

I said, "The baby should sleep in his own bed. It's safer."
I know it's hard to imagine, me being so sweet and all, but I turn into a vicious, snarling beast when sleep deprived for multiple nights weeks months in a row.
What I've learned: Nursing a baby every 2 hours (or less) ALL NIGHT LONG 24/7/365 will make things you once thought ridiculous become extremely practical.

I said, "I think I'm going to love being a mom."
What I've learned: I absolutely do. Even in sleep deprived beast mode.



1 comment:

  1. Yes. YeS! YES!!! Sounds like your handling it all wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete